Tuesday, October 20, 2015

(5) Research Project Brainstorm

Choosing a topic to research is tough. There are so many interesting possibilities, yet I'm not sure which one I want to do. I've been doing some searching on family search and haven't found much of anything yet.. The one thing I did find was an interesting story that my grandma's uncle wrote about his wife. I'm guessing it was a love letter from back in the day, but it's more like a novel it's so long! It seems like there is a lot of family history done on my mom's side as far as names and dates. I'll have to keep digging to find any stories or events that stick out. I'm going to have to ask my grandparents more about our ancestors and what, if anything, they can think of. I'll take any leads I can get because I really don't know where to start.

Aside from family research, there are some random, interesting topics like credit card fraud/identity theft that would be fun to research. The Harold B. Library is a great help and I'll have to take advantage of them as much as I can. When we were in the research room, I was able to learn how to refine my searches and become more efficient. I really want to find the things I need in as little time as possible because I have so little of it.

UPDATE: (10/24/15)
After talking with my family and bouncing ideas off of them, I know what I want to do. My question is, "What effects does growing up in a single-parent family have on children?" This is very personal to me and it applies directly. My parents have been divorced since I was 4 years old, and my mom has raised my sister and I alone. There's no such thing as a "normal family." I believe families can be the same no matter what the situation may be. As for our family, we have grown stronger and closer together. I've never found the need to use our circumstances as an excuse that we can't have lasting happiness because we all have our own take on things. We can either be down about things and dwell on the past, or we can put our best foot forward and build on what we have.

7 comments:

  1. The one about the love letter would be cool to research if you could find enough info... I'd read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could do a research on the time period the letter was written in. You could also see if anyone in your family has experience with credit card fraud or identity theft. - Rachel Tietjen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried asking your parents or grandparents for ideas? They may be able to help you in finding a story that would be interesting for you to research.
    -Tanner Hales

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried asking your parents or grandparents for ideas? They may be able to help you in finding a story that would be interesting for you to research.
    -Tanner Hales

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you don't think you can make the love letter topic work, maybe you could research when your family first joined the church, or when they first came to America, or something along the lines of that. But I think the love letter/novel sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It may not be the love letter, but I think you still have a very interesting topic. Anything that is personal to the writer, is usually more interesting to the reader. And it is a topic that can resonate with a lot of people. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very interested in this topic because I can relate. I agree with your take on putting our best foot forward and working with what we have for happiness. I'd love to know what you find. This paper sounds like it will be helpful for everyone to read.

    ReplyDelete