Wednesday, October 7, 2015

(3) Analyzing Rhetoric

Before starting my Rhetorical Analysis paper, I was really hesitant about it. I had no idea how to write one - let alone know what speech I wanted to use. Since starting it, and finding a speech I really enjoyed, I can now say it was easier than I thought. I just pinpointed exactly what I loved about it and it all came together better than I thought. I chose to do Jimmy Valvano's speech he gave in 1993 at the ESPN ESPY Awards. The talk was given after he received the Arthur Ashe Courage Award. He was a legendary basketball coach and many people looked up to him, so it wasn't hard for it to be a moving speech. Jimmy V was diagnosed with cancer and died early in his life at age 47, eight weeks after giving his monumental speech. People used to always ask him what he does now that his time is limited. He said, "...nothing has changed for me.." He, then, talked about three things he does everyday and what he does to find joy: laugh, think, and have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. Despite being so ill, he was able to live such an inspiring life and leave a footprint for people to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment